Moms Top 10

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

gRAWnola




I have tried a few times in the past to make granola in the oven and it has never turned out...the edges were always burned or over done and I just never found a recipe that I really liked. That is until I started looking at raw granola recipes. We invested in a food dehydrator and now I make gRAWnola just about every week (we go through it so fast) This recipe is not 100% raw, I guess rolled oats are steamed to a temperature above 110 degrees, but it is raw enough for me and it is so easy to just mix it up and leave it in the food dehydrator overnight. In the morning your house smells wonderful and you have delicious granola waiting for you to eat for breakfast. We also put it in our yogurt and just eat it plain right out of the jar.

Here is the fabulous recipe:

1/3 C honey
1/3 C coconut oil
1/2 T vanilla
1/2 t salt or less
1 T cinnamon or less (we love it, so always put a lot in everything)
1/2 -1 T carob powder (optional)
3 C old fashioned rolled oats
1/2 C seed mixture (I use flax and sunflower)
1 C chopped nut mixture (I just use almonds)

* Remember when making raw recipes to always use raw nuts and seeds...not roasted, toasted or salted. If you really want to get into it, you can soak your nuts/seeds before hand or even sprout your nuts for extra nutrition.

* You can pretty much add whatever you think will taste good. Other items might be unsweetened coconut, pumpkin seeds, pure maple syrup, raisins or other dried fruit.

Chop the nuts/seeds until desired size. I put mine in the food processor to grind them up pretty small in order for my little guy to chew up easily.



Add the nut/seeds to a large bowl or mixer and just thoroughly mix in all other ingredients. Spread onto food dehydrator trays, set the temperature at about 105-110. Let run for 8-10 hours depending on how crunchy you like your granola. I like mine a little chewy, so about 8-9 hours does the trick.



Store in an air tight container and it will probably last 3-5 days, depending on how many nutbars you have:) I now double the recipe so it will last a little longer.



You can also make this recipe in the oven, although I haven't tired that method in awhile. I would recommend baking in a large roasting pan or cookie sheet with lip at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, so everything is baked evenly. You can add raisins or other dried fruit at the end as well.

Enjoy!






1 comment: